Greetings! I am working on my classes for fall. In my Transformative Learning class, I am porting over the “Context Book” assignment from the Hyperlinked Library course.
Here’s the blurb:
Context Book Reports: Students will read one book selected from a list provided, and write a 400 word reflection or create a media-based presentation relating the topic and focus of the book to transformative learning and new literacies. 10 points
The required books are:
- Booth, C. (2011). Reflective teaching, Effective learning: Instructional literacy for library educators. Chicago: ALA.
- Thomas, D., & Brown, J. (2011). A new culture of learning: Cultivating the imagination for a world of constant change. Charleston, SC: CreateSpace.
I want to build a list similar to this one: http://tametheweb.com/2012/01/22/context-books-for-the-hyperlinked-library/ but focused on new literacies and new ideas about learning in organizations and in general.
For sure I will add this one:
Richardson, W. & Mancabelli, R. (2011). Personal Learning Networks: Using the power of connections to transform education. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
What would you add? (I can tell many of the Hyperlinked book list could work here too…)
Here’s a short list:
- Beck, John C. & Mitchell Wade. Got game
- Davidson, Cathy. Now You See It: How the Brain Science of Attention Will Transform the Way We Live, Work, and Learn
- Gee, James Paul. What Video Games Have to teach Us about Learning & Literacy
- Ito, Mizuko (ed.). Hanging Out,Messing Around,and Geeking Out:Kids Living and Learning with New Media.
- Jenkins, Henry. Convergence Culture
- Jenkins, Henry. Fans, Bloggers & Gamers: Exploring Participatory Culture
- McGonigal, Jane. Reality is Broken
- Palfrey, John & Urs Gasser. Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives
- Richardson, W. & Mancabelli, R. (2011). Personal Learning Networks: Using the power of connections to transform education