San Jose State University seeks to dramatically expand its faculty working in the area of cyber security/data science by hiring a cluster of five new faculty members. The university seeks people who are able to initiate and participate in interdisciplinary collaborations in the area of cyber security or data science, and who are skilled researchers and teachers in one of five areas: ComputerScience, Computer Engineering, Library and Information Science, Management Information Science, or Psychology.
As part of this initiative the School of Library and Information Science (SLIS) is looking for a faculty member with a focus in either information assurance/information integrity or large data sets/information visualization. The successful applicant will teach online classes for SLIS and conduct research, build online interdisciplinary certificates, and develop fundable research proposals with colleagues in the cybersecurity and data science clusters in the University.
A successful applicant focused primarily in the area of information assurance/information integrity will teach online classes and conduct research with cluster faculty members in one or more of the following areas:
- Protection of records and archives via trusted digital repositories that ensure the accuracy, reliability, and authenticity (i.e., identity andintegrity) of records in the cloud and records delivered via mobile devices
- Information risk analysis, management, and compliance of digital records
- Sustainability of digital records
- Privacy and freedom of information
- Encryption management strategies
- Recovery and disaster techniques including disaster planning
A successful applicant focused primarily in the area of large data sets/information visualization will teach online classes and conduct research with cluster faculty members in one or more of the following areas:
- Analysis of unstructured and machine generated data from social media (e.g., Facebook and Twitter)
- Information visualization to help users gain new and deeper knowledge from complex information
- Tagging of data for ease of analysis and findability
- Metadata systems, architectures, and applications
- Semantic networks and linked data
- Data analytics
- Text/data mining
- Pattern recognition
The School of Library and Information Science (SLIS) at San Jose State University is fully accredited by the American Library Association through 2014. It has 2000 students and since Fall 2009 delivers its degrees only online. In addition to the online Masters in Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree SLIS offers an online masters degree in Archives and Records Administration (MARA), a gateway Ph.D. program with Queensland University of Technology, and a Post Master’sCertificate program. The School is part of the College of Applied Sciences and Arts at San Jose State University.
Dr. Linda Main, Chair of the Search Committee at: Linda.Main@sjsu.edu
Please include Job Opening ID: 22461
San Jose State University is home to theSilicon Valley Center for Cyber Security, is a partner in the NSF-funded national Center for Science and Technology for Research in Ubiquitous Secure Technology (TRUST) at UC Berkeley, and hosted the national symposium on Curriculum Development in Security and Information Assurance (CDSIA) as well as the Oates Security in the Cyberage Symposium.
*Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. In addition, you will be required to visit the San Jose State University campus four or five times a year at your own expense.