Michael speaks on a variety of topics related to libraries, people, and technology. Check to see if he will be speaking somewhere you’ll be attending or in your area on the Upcoming Presentations page.
Please feel free to contact Michael for more information about speaking at your event or for your professional development workshops. Michael’s speaker bio and promotional photos can be found on the About page.
Upcoming presentations (Coming Soon)
Recent and Selected Presentations
For a list of all of Michael’s past presentations, head over to the Past Presentations page.
- September 25, 2018 – Keynote, Upper Peninsula Region of Library Cooperation Annual Meeting, Escanaba, Michigan.
- August 2, 2018. Keynote, Asia-Pacific Library & Information Conference, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
- February 1, 2018. Keynote, Conference About Libraries and Literacy (CALL), La Crosse, Wisconsin.
- January 17, 2018. Keynote, Adopt or Adapt: Approaches to Emerging Tech and Trends, Sirsi Dynix Connections Summit
- November 30, 2017. Keynote. Northland Regional Library System Annual Meeting, Traverse City, Michigan.
- November 4, 2016. Keynote. Panhandle Library Access Network (PLAN) Annual Meeting, Panama City, Florida.
- October 14, 2016. Keynote. Finger Lakes Library System Annual Meeting, Ithaca, New York.
- September 30, 2016. Keynote. The Library Network Technology Forum. Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.
- May 25, 2016. Keynote, Rhode Island Library Association, Warwick, Rhode Island.
- February 2016. Keynote: The Hyperlinked Library: The Anywhere Service Dynamic. Montana Library Association Offline Conference, Lewiston, Montana.
- November 2015. Keynote: Making Connections: Learning Everywhere and the Hyperlinked Library. Arizona Library Association Annual Conference, Flagstaff, Arizona.
- October 2015. Keynote: The Library as Classroom. Colorado Association of Libraries Annual Conference, Loveland, Colorado.
- June 2015. Keynote: Learning Everywhere. ILEAD USA Program, Illinois State Library.
- June 2015. Keynote: Technologies and Trends for Hyperlinked Libraries. Grand Valley State University, Mary Idema Pew Library, for the Michigan Library Association.
- April 2015. Keynote – Learning Everywhere: Users, Empathy, and Reflective Practice, Connecticut Library Association Conference, Mystic, Connecticut.
Recent National or International Presentations
- Stephens, M. (2018). Libraries in Balance: Trends, Technology & Learning. Presented at the National Library of Australia, Canberra, Australia. July 18, 2018.
- Stephens, M. (2018). Libraries in Balance: Trends, Technology & Learning. Presented at CityLibraries Townsville, Townsville, Australia. July 20, 2018.
- June 25, 2018. “On the Ground, Online & Operative: Perceptions & Effectiveness of Public Library Staff Professional Development,” American Library Association Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- March 7, 2018. Webinar, “The Heart of Librarianship: Finding Balance in Challenging Times,” online.
- October 5, 2017. Adopt or Adapt: Approaches to Emerging Tech and Trends Ohio Library Council Annual Conference, Dayton, Ohio
- April 9, 2016. The Hyperlinked Classroom: Extraordinary Learning Experiences in Public Libraries. Public Library Association Annual Conference, Denver, Colorado.
- March 14, 2016. “Horizon Report Library Edition Panel.” Presented as part of a panel with Larry Johnson, Rudolph Mumenthaler, Franziska Regner, and Lambert Heller at the 6th Library Congress Leipzig, Germany. (Online)
Recent Staff Development Presentations
- October 10, 2016. Staff Development Day, Gwinnett County Public Library, Georgia.
- August 2016. Poplar Creek Public Library Staff Development Day, Poplar Creek, Illinois.
- May 2016. Fort Bend County Libraries Staff Development Day, Fort Bend, Texas.
- December 2015. Staff Development Day Presentations, Carmel Clay Public Library, Carmel, Indiana.
- December 2015. Staff Development Day Presentations, Sarasota County Public Library, Sarasota, Florida.
- October 2015. Learning Everywhere: The Transformative Power of Hyperlinked Libraries & Emerging Trends and Emerging Tech: Exploring the Hyperlinked Library, Ohio Library Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- September 2015. Staff Development Day, Prince William Public Library System, Virginia.
- May 2015. Technology Trends Update for Arizona State Library, Phoenix, Arizona.
- Stephens, M. (2018). Telling Your Research Story: Reflective, Connected, Open. Presented for faculty and staff at University of Southern Queensland, July 25, 2018.
- Stephens, M. (2018). The Hyperlinked Campus: Connected Learning & Collaborative Reflection. Presented for faculty and staff at University of Southern Queensland, August 7, 2018.
- Partridge, H., Davis, K. & Stephens, M. (2018). Professional Learning Experiences of Australian Public Library Staff. Asia Pacific Library and Information Conference, Gold Coast, Australia. August 2, 2018.
- January 2016. “Inclusive & Connected Learning: Evaluating and Refining an Academic Community Blogging Platform.” 2016 Association of Library and Information Science Educators Conference, Boston, MA.
- 2018- March 7 – Webinar, “The Heart of Librarianship: Finding Balance in Challenging Times,” online.