Gary Hamel notes: “The experience of growing up online will profoundly shape the workplace expectations of “Generation F” – the Facebook Generation. At a minimum, they’ll expect the social environment of work to reflect the social context of the Web, rather than as is currently the case, a mid-20th-century Weberian bureaucracy.” He offers a set of ideas that tomorrow’s employees will look for in progressive institutions:
- All ideas compete on an equal footing.
- Contribution counts for more than credentials.
- Hierarchies are natural, not prescribed.
- Leaders serve rather than preside.
- Power comes from sharing information, not hoarding it.
- Opinions compound and decisions are peer-reviewed.
- Groups are self-defining and -organizing.
How does your library stack up?